Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday

Lunch:
Shaved steak with gorgonzola
Crackers

Dinner:
Ragu with ground lamb on Rotini
Sauteed Snow Peas
Chocolate Mint Ice Cream

Its been a while. Life has been a little crazy. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes that's a great thing. Sometimes you're on the wrong end of the billy club. Sometimes, in the chain of events, something you take for granted that you re-visit nearly every day is suddenly gone and you are left looking on the shelf in askance. Patterns allow us to work safely on autopilot. And I guess the worst part of autopilot is that its easy to lose sight of that fact that important parts of your life can end up in autopilot, whether you like it or not. I bake bread every other day, but my oven broke a few days ago, and I am just now realizing how important that ritual was for me. Not just the bennie of fresh sourdough every day, but the process subconsciously kept me moving forward. Always producing the next loaf. Always finishing off the last one as I'm working on the next one. Never really cogitating on it, but always relying on it. Bedrock, tasty tangy bedrock.

Well, now I am.

I'll probably not be posting for the next week, while I'm in New Orleans eating and drinking my way from one side of the quarter to the other (blasted iPod Touch and Blogger still don't work together). Beignet, Po'boys, gumbo, oysters, Zapp's and missing the ability drink a sixer of Dixie on the street corner without getting a second glance.

1 comment:

  1. I wish that I could just click on the "like" button, but there isn't one...so I'm left with typing "two thumbs up". Great to hear your voice in your writing. I wish that I was still on the coast for I would hop over to New Orleans to see you, but I'm up near Memphis now...'bout a 6 hour drive, but who knows, if you are still there on friday ~ slight chance that I may be headed that way anyways. It would be so good to see you! Have you ever eaten at a Brazilian Restaurant before?

    ReplyDelete